Thursday, September 13, 2012

Casey Jones Mask

I have always loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles , way back before any movies or cartoons Started I was hooked on the comics.  MY favorite character besides Donatello was Casey Jones and I have always wanted a mask replica. My friend Alan made the Pepakura mask first for me, he always does really good pep work, and this made my job so much easier! The Pep model  had no name to give credit to, and I cannot find who the creator is . I have had the file on my computer for quite a while.

  I coated it on the outside with polyester resin. This sealed it and helped it keep its shape for the next steps.

I slushed the inside with Smoothcast 321 urethane resin to give it some thickness to work with, then I took a sander with 80 grit paper and knocked down the high spots.

With just a little bit of body filler and spot putty, it took shape fairly easily. I wet sanded it to 1,000 grit before painting it  with white enamel.

 All that is left is the leather straps to hold it on and a golf bag full of blunt objects ! Easy build !

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Dragonball Z Scouter

This is a prop I have wanted to make for myself for a long time. My blog is soon to pass 9,000 hits and to commemorate the occasion, I felt this was the perfect opportunity to tackle this build. I did most of it in one day so it was pretty easy.

I kinda went off this pic for reference, but since pretty much every scouter in the series is a little different, I basically just made it how I wanted it
IT"S OVER 8,400 !!!

First I made a frame of sorts out of Sintra, cut a hole for the recess area and made a little box to be glued under the whole so I could add the vent piece later

 I then made a pattern for the sides from cardstock and traced those on to thin styrene sheet to wrap around the frame, and glued them in place

I used cardstock again to mock up the lens and the lens arm to make sure it would fit my face good

I then made the lens arm from Sintra and styrene and glued it in place. I left a slot in the tip to slide the lens into and used a screw to fasten it. this also allows me to adjust the depth of the lens. I also cut some strips of Sintra and shingled them on top of one another for the vent. This was painted separately and glued in later for a clean look.

 I used Eva foam for the ear padding. It was the right color and easy to cut and shape into what I needed. Inside is a plactic earpiece that hooks onto the ear kinda like a bluetooth headset. The scouter looks huge on the foam head because the dummy head is way small.

I tried tinting the lens blue by soaking it in hot water with blue fabric dye, but unfortunately since I used a dense acrylic instead of PETG plastic, the lens didn't take the color at all. I used a Prismacolor marker to do it red for the picture, rubbing it in with a paper towel to keep it from looking too splotchy. I will make another lens from the proper plastic later and try again.