I used the 3d model on the Destiny app to get a good side view and shared it to my email where I was able to print it to scale. I used this as my blueprint for the build.
I used 1/2 inch Sintra reclaimed from old signage thrown out from a remodel at work. I cut out the basic frame with the intention of building it in layers. (need more clamps!)
I started cutting out some of the shapes/details to add to the frame
I also cut out the same basic shapes as the base frame, but in 1/4 inch Sintra and started shaping with 60 grit paper. I also used a course drum on my Dremel. I had to do the main sanding outside on the deck and my neighbors kept giving confused looks as to what I was doing .
Alot of artist really put their blood, sweat and tears into their work. I just stick to mostly blood. I have the rarest blood so that makes it more valuable right ?
No time for first aid, glue it, tape it , and get back to work!
The side details were cut out of styrene and Sintra. The round parts were molded and cast in Smooth on onyx for the other side. It was pretty cold when I did this, so when I pored the silicone for the mold, I used a handwarmer to help it cure and covered it with a metal bowl. The extraheat helped the silicone cure. Small weiner for scale.
These domed caps on a small tank-like feature on the rifle was done by drilling a small hole in the center and gluing a nail into it. I the chucked it in my drill and shaped it with a Dremel and sandpaper.
I made the side hoses out of Sintra also. I tried all sorts of tubing and wire, and even with armature wire in them, I could not get them into the shape I needed. I started with a blocky piece and shaped it by hand to fit.
Forthe magazine, I built it out of layered Sintra also and after making a pattern to make them magnet placement match, used rare earth magnets to keep the Magazine in place yet allow it to be removable.
Here I have applied primer to most of the rifle and built the base of the butt stock. I have also started of what seems to be a fusion cell like object on the top of the gun, which is removable by just plugging/unplugging it in the cavity on top.. I used clear Christmas ornaments to make the clear domes. I decided not to put fluid on the domes as to avoid a nighmare of leaks and possible fungal growth and discoloration issues.
This part had me worried, but turned out of in the end. I just drew the lines in by hand and cut them in with a Japanese razor saw.
More details ! The round barrel bits and knurled knobby bits were simply cut from the tip of a pvc pipe. The barrel tips were beveled and the knobby bits were finished by a dremel.
I made a cover plate for the front of the rifle and made it so the barrel plate snapped right in. I was a perfect fit and stayed in place on it's own, but was glued anyway during final assembly.
The Stock piece was finished off by the ribbing into strips from styrene. I used one of the strips to ensure consistent spacing and then sanded them to bend into the stock base.
Yay for mock ups !! I made a Piccatinny rail much like I did the ribbing on the stock, and it's functional !
I decided to go ahead and make a tactical scope for the rifle. I cut a pvc pipe length wise and glued in some flat styrene to get the shape. Boba Fett helped make sure the inside was smooth, Thanks Boba!
Painting is fun ! (yeah right) I applied a few coats of satin white to the whole thing, then maske off with shopping bags and did the black part in flat black.
So clean ! The Omolon logos were done in vinyl stickers for me by my friend Chris Gould who did a fantastic job. If anyone needs decals cut I can get you in touch with him. The green grip was difficult to find a color for, I finally found in Valspar, which is a brand I don't typically use.
Here it is lightly weathered and finished ! As far as guns go, I never do too heavy on the weathering, The way I see it, any soldier in is going to take extreme care of their weapon because their lives depend on it.